Best Bike Helmets for Kids of 2021
Make sure your kids wearing a suitable helmet when biking is very important. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 846 bicyclists were killed in bicycle accidents in 2019, and most of them are involved injuries to the head. The number should be enough to convince you to put a helmet on your kids' head while riding. The right bike helmet can literally save their lives.
There are so many types of helmets in market, and not all of them are for biking. Here are something you need consider when choosing the right helmet for your kids.
- Helmet type: There is no helmets are suitable for all activities. Do not let your kids wear a hockey helmet when biking. There are multi-sport helmets in market for similar activates like: skateboarding or scootering. If your kids play these activities as well, you can buy these kinds of helmets to save money and space. You need to make sure the helmets are certified for these sports.
- Helmet size: A too small or big helmet cannot protest the head as it is supposed to. Most helmets list sizes based on ages, but this is not accurate because head size vary between kids. You need to measure your kid's head to get the correct size. Also, you need to consider the shape of your kid's head. Some helmets fit wide head, while others fit narrow head. Please read the products' description and user reviews before making a decision.
- Adjustability: You need to find the most suitable size helmets for your kids, but, most time, the helmets cannot be exactly fit kids' head. A dial-adjust system is a very useful feature to adjust the small gaps. Not all helmets have a dial-adjust system, but should have something similar (like: removable padding).
- Lightweight and air vents: Compare with a light helmet, a heavy helmet could easily make your kids tired when they riding. Also, air vents provide crucial ventilation on hot summer rides.
To ease your process of finding the right bike helmets, we have hand picked some great helmets for kids.
Wipeout Youth Dry Erase Helmet
Dry erase bike, skate, and scooter helmet for children includes five non-toxic dry erase markers and stencil kit for creating custom helmet designs. Sturdy and stylish, kids can draw and stencil designs on the helmet, and then erase and start over for a fresh look. Dual certified for bike and skate use; complies with U.S. CPSC and ASTM safety standards for biking, skateboarding, and trick roller skating. Available in two sizes: Ages 5+ and Ages 8+.
- Customize helmet designs
- For biking, skateboarding, and skating
- Dual certified
Razor V-17 Multi-Sport Helmet
Cutting-edge children's safety helmet for biking, skating, and more. 17 top and side vents help rider keep a cool head on hot days. Ergonomic interior padding is comfortable and secure. Side release buckles adjust and fasten quickly. Fits head sizes 21.5 to 23 inches; for ages 8 to 14; Complies with CPSC standards.
- For biking, skating, and more
- For ages 8 to 14
- Ergonomic interior padding included
BELL Marvel Spiderman Hero Helmet
You’ll be a super hero when you get this helmet for your little action hero who wants to look like Spiderman! It’s so cool, your child will WANT to wear their helmet while they ride into action! Fits head sizes: 50-54 cm. 8 vents to keep little heads cool. Side-squeeze buckle for easy adjustment.
- Marvel Spiderman Hero
- Fits head sizes: 50-54 cm
- Side-squeeze buckle for adjustment
Joovy Noodle Small Kids Helmet
Available in two sizes: Small (18.5-20.5 inches) and medium (20.5-22 inches). 14 air vents with integrated bug mesh in the front vents. Extended visor for maximum protection, nylon straps, and pinch guard chin strap. Complies with U.S. CPSC safety standard for bicycle helmets for persons age 1 and older.
- For age 1 and older
- 14 air vents with integrated bug mesh
- Available in two sizes
Raskullz Mohawk Helmets
3D fin hawk and radical lightning bolt printed graphics. 5 LED lights light up the mohawk and operate in 2 modes: steady and flashing. Auto-shut off feature to conserve battery. Fit most heads measuring 50-54cm. Complies with the U.S. CPSC Safety Standard for Bicycle Helmets for Persons Age 5 and Older.
- Awesome Designs
- 5 LED lights light up the mohawk
- Fit most heads measuring 50-54cm
Schwinn Thrasher Bike Helmet
Schwinn Thrasher lightweight helmet is designed for children. Suggested age range: 5 to 8 years old. Suggested head circumference: 19.63 to 22.0 inches. Schwinn 360 degrees Comfort pairs a dial adjustable fit system with full-range padding for the perfect customized, comfortable fit. Lightweight, three piece micro shell enhances durability without weighing your child down. 20 top air vents provide crucial ventilation on hot summer rides.
- Lightweight microshell design
- A dial adjustable fit system
- 20 top air vents